Are you a permanent resident who wants to become a Canadian Citizen? If so, we can help!

At Global Grid Immigration, we can help you determine if you are eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship, assist you with your citizenship application and advise you of the best measures you should take to obtain Canadian citizenship.

Generally, anyone who is born in Canada is automatically a Canadian citizen. However, people wanting to acquire Canadian citizenship can do so in a number of ways. In certain situations, a person who was not born in Canada can apply for a certificate of citizenship showing that he or she derived citizenship at birth from a Canadian citizen living abroad.

Canadian Citizenship Requirements and Exceptions

As a general rule, individuals who are applying for Canadian citizenship must meet the following 3 requirements:

  1. Be 18 years of age
  2. Be a permanent resident of Canada
  3. Meet residency obligations (reside in Canada for 1095 within the last 1460 days – three out of four years).

However, if the applicant is a child is under the age of 18, the following circumstances must be met:

  1. The child must be a permanent resident
  2. The child does not have to have lived in Canada for three years
  3. The child’s parent, adoptive parent, or legal guardian, and one of the parents is already a Canadian citizen or is in the process of applying to become a citizen. This applies for adoptive parents also.

In addition, the applicant must meet two other requirements: 

  1. language requirement (be able to understand and speak Basic English or French); and 
  2. knowledge about Canada requirements (Canada’s history, geography, government, and the rights and responsibilities of citizenship). A language test is required to be provided with an application and a test is to be taken to prove knowledge about Canada. Persons 55 years of age and over are exempt from these two requirements.

In addition, the permanent residence status in Canada must not be in doubt at any time, meaning that you must not be involved in an immigration investigation, immigration inquiry or a removal order.

Applicants residing in Canada prior to becoming permanent residents can receive credit for one half day, to a maximum of one year, for each day of residing in Canada.

Ineligibility for Citizenship

Conversely, citizenship applications will be denied to applicants who:

  • Are not Canadian permanent residents;
  • Do not meet or cannot provide proof of the minimum residency requirements;
  • Do not meet the minimum language proficiencies in either English or French;
  • Fail their Canadian citizenship test and/or interview;
  • Have been ordered to leave Canada;
  • Have been convicted of a criminal offence in the last three years;
  • Have had their citizenship revoked;
  • Are on parole, probation, or are in prison;
  • Have been convicted or are under investigation for a crime against humanity or war crime.

Apply Today with our Expert Immigration Team

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

  • 1. I am a citizen of another country. Will I lose that citizenship if I become a Canadian?

    Under Canadian law, you can be both a Canadian citizen and a citizen of another country. However, some countries won’t let you keep their citizenship if you become a Canadian citizen. The consulate or embassy of your other country of citizenship can tell you whether this applies to you.

  • 2. How do I get dual citizenship?

    Every country decides whom it considers to be a citizen. If more than one country recognizes you as a citizen, you have dual citizenship. You don’t apply for dual citizenship, and there is no related certificate. Canadians are allowed to take foreign citizenship while keeping their Canadian citizenship. Ask the embassy of your country of citizenship about its rules before applying for Canadian citizenship.

  • 3. Do I become a Canadian citizen when I marry a Canadian?

    No. Marrying a Canadian citizen doesn’t give you citizenship. If you want to become a Canadian citizen, you must follow the same steps as everyone else. There isn’t a special process for spouses of Canadian citizens. You must meet several requirements to apply for citizenship. You must be physically present in Canada for at least 1,095 days during the 5 years right before the date you applied. This includes time as a

    • permanent resident
    • temporary resident (lawfully authorized to remain in Canada)
    • protected person
    Your Canadian spouse can sponsor you to become a permanent resident if you
    • don’t live in Canada, or
    • aren’t a permanent resident
    You may apply for citizenship if you
    • are a permanent resident
    • have been physically present in Canada long enough
    • meet the other requirements

  • 4. Can I leave Canada after I apply for my citizenship?

    Yes. You can leave Canada after your application is received by IRCC. If you need to leave Canada and want to stay eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must:

    • make sure that you live in Canada long enough to keep your Permanent Resident (PR) status
    • be a permanent resident (when you apply)
    • not lose PR status before you take the Oath of Citizenship
    • bring your PR card with you when you leave Canada so you can return easily

  • 5. What can I do if my citizenship application is refused?

    You can apply for Canadian citizenship again. This new application must include all the required forms and documents, including a new application fee. There is no waiting period before you can reapply. However, you should make sure you meet the requirements for Canadian citizenship before you reapply. If your citizenship application is refused, you may also seek judicial review of the decision by the Federal Court of Canada. This is not an appeal of the decision. You have thirty (30) days from the date on the refusal letter to apply.

  • 6. What happens if I miss my citizenship test?

    If you do not appear for your scheduled citizenship test, IRCC will mail you a letter telling you that because you missed your citizenship test, you are now scheduled to appear for an interview with a citizenship judge. If you miss that interview, another interview will be scheduled for you and you will receive a notice of that second scheduled date by registered mail. If you do not attend the second scheduled interview, your file will be closed.

  • 7. What happens if I do not appear for the citizenship ceremony?

    If you do not attend the citizenship ceremony and do not contact the citizenship office within 60 days, your file will be closed. You will then have to fill out another application form and pay the fee to go through the entire process again

  • 8. How long will it take IRCC to process my application?

    It is currently taking IRCC (formerly known as CIC) approximately fifteen - nineteen months to process citizenship applications.