Every year, over 130,000 international students choose to study at Canadian universities. The country provides world class education which is recognized globally. Research is one of the key components of a graduate student. The universities support the students who come out with best research ideas and many scholarships are given to students for their research works.

Here are some of the reasons why international students wish to study in Canada:

  • Affordable Education
  • Vibrant campus atmosphere
  • Exciting Campus Lifestyle
  • Healthy and Safe Communities
  • Good internship opportunities
  • Innovative and Abundant Research Opportunities
  • International students can often work with off-campus work permit for maximum of 20 hours a week
  • Spouses or common-law partners of foreign students are eligible for an open work permit for the duration as the study permit.
  • Upon graduation, a foreign student may apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. Under this program, the work permit may be issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years.
  • You may be eligible to apply for Permanent Residence under Express Entry (Skilled Worker Class or Canadian Experience Class) from within Canada if you have accumulated one year of work experience under NOC Code 0, A or B of the National Occupation Classification.

Semesters / Intakes in the Canada

Canadian universities and colleges offer three intakes. Intakes may also be referred to as a semester in some institutions. The three intakes available in Canada are:

  • Fall Semester –starts in the month of September
  • Winter Semester – Starts in the month of January
  • Summer Semester – Usually starts from April/May, this intake is available for limited programs and colleges.

We would advise you to apply well in advance because admissions and scholarships get difficult when you apply closer to the deadline. It is better to apply 6 to 9 months before the academic session starts.

Study Permit Requirements

There are two sets of requirements you must consider when applying for a Canadian study permit: eligibility requirements, and requirements while studying in Canada.

Eligibility Requirements

You must meet these criteria in order to be eligible to apply for a study permit:

Acceptance Letter: You must have an acceptance letter from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in order to apply for a Canadian study permit.

Proof of Financial Support: You must provide documentation proving that you have sufficient funds to cover the cost of tuition for your first year of study as well as the cost of living (housing, food, etc.) for yourself and any accompanying family members for your first year of study. Please note that these funds can be under your name or the name of a family member or close friend.

Supporting Documentation: Extensive supporting documentation must be submitted with your study permit application. This documentation varies from country-to-country. 

When you apply for your permit, the visa officer will confirm to ensure you meet the requirements. If the visa officer is not satisfied, they will refuse your application.

Requirements while studying in Canada

If your study permit is approved and you enter Canada as an international student, you must meet the requirements below in order to maintain the validity of your study permit. While studying in Canada under a study permit, a foreign national must:

  1. always be enrolled at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI)
  2. make progress towards completing their program
  3. respect any conditions listed on their study permit
  4. stop studying if they no longer meet the requirements and
  5. leave Canada when their permit expires

Working Off-Campus

You may be able to work off-campus without a work permit if you meet the following requirements:

  • You will work 20 hours or less a week unless it is during academic break, when you can work full time.
  • You need to have a valid study permit and be a full time student
  • You need to be enrolled in a designated learning institution
  • You need to be in a program of more than six months in duration that awards a degree.
  • You will need a Social Insurance Number in order to work in Canada while you study.

Work as an Intern

Co-op students or interns need to get a work permit in order to work in Canada. Requirements include:

  • To be eligible for a work permit you will need to
  • Have a valid study permit
  • Intend to get an internship that is an essential part of your studies in Canada
  • Have a letter from an academic official at your school saying that your internship is essential to your studies
  • Show that your employment will not make up more than 50% of your total program of study.

 Study as a Path to Permanent Residency

Many international students in Canada finish their studies with the hopes of obtaining work and remaining in Canada permanently. Often students apply for work through Post Graduate Work Permits and then a work visa to stay temporarily. In certain Express Entry categories, students may be eligible for permanent residence without any work experience.  After having gained academic and work experience in Canada, they may have more options to apply for Canadian permanent residency.

We Can Help You With Your Study Permit Application!

A well-planned and complete application will increase your likelihood of acceptance and will save you from hassle. We can help you draft your application and arrange the required documents.

Our goal is to help everyone that is interested in immigrating to Canada. Contact us and we can provide numerous options for you. We will review your case before you submit it to give you the best possible outcome.

Apply Today with our Expert Immigration Team

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

  • 1. How much IELTS score is required for a Canada Student Visa?

    A Canada Student Visa will require you to score a minimum of 5.5 bands in each of the 4 IELTS segments for Undergraduate Courses with an overall minimum score of 6.0 and plus. Graduate Courses require 6.5 bands score with at least a score of 6.0 in each of the 4 segments.

  • 2. How long does it take to get a Canadian student visa?

    The processing time varies from country to country. For Canada study permits, anyone applying from India can expect a processing time of around 20 calendar days. As Indians are eligible for applying under the Student Direct Stream [SDS], they can expect a faster processing time for their study permit for Canada. A legal resident living in any 1 of certain countries – India, Pakistan, the Philippines, Morocco, Senegal, Vietnam, and China – can apply under the SDS. Do note that a study permit is not a visa and you cannot enter or travel to Canada on your study permit alone. You will also require either an electronic travel authorization [eTA] or a visitor visa. If required, the same will be issued along with your study permit.

  • 3. Is ITR required for a Canada Student Visa?

    Submitting ITR – Income Tax Return as evidence of income has not been listed specifically among the mandatory documents for submission. However, Canada Student Visa applicants must note that:

    • The mindset of the Visa Officers is to ensure that the student does not become a burden on Canada’s economy and must be able to bear the cost of studies
    • Students who fail to support themselves can resort to work unlawfully or in other illegal activities and no nation would be happy about this
    • Submitting ITR acts as evidence or a measure that builds confidence that the student will be able to fund the education in Canada without any support externally
    • Any Education loans that are approved for Study in Canada are also deemed as available sources

  • 4. How do I prepare for entrance to universities in Canada?

    You must prepare for standardized tests such as TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, IELTS based on the requirements of the university or course you are applying to. You must register for these tests in advance. Prior preparation for these tests is also necessary. You can do this by attending coaching classes or taking online courses. Sometimes you may have to retake these tests to get the qualifying score.

  • 5. How do I finance my studies in Canada?

    Before you leave for Canada, ensure that you have enough funds that will take care of your entire period of stay in the country. This should include funds for tuition fees, accommodation, food, clothes, local travel and other expenses. You must plan on how you will fund these expenses either with your personal savings, educational loans, scholarship etc.

  • 6. What is the GIC required for students to study in Canada?

    Students going to Canada must buy a special guaranteed investment certificate (GIC) from any of the participating banks such as Nova Scotia Bank, ICICI Bank, SBI Canada Bank, CIBC Bank for an amount of CAD 10,200 to facilitate the adjustment of the living expenses of the first year. With the GIC the student will receive CAD 2000 on arrival in Canada. The rest of the money will be paid in 12 equal installments to take care of his monthly living expenses.

  • 7. Can those on student visas bring dependents?

    Canada’s immigration policy allows the spouse and minor dependents of student visa holders to come to Canada to work and study. The spouse of a dependent visa holder can work in Canada on an open work permit. They can work for any employer in Canada and does not require an LMIA or job offer before arrival in the country. The work permit will have the same period of validity as the study permit Minor children of student visa holders can study and do not require a study permit to pursue their education in Canada. To bring dependents the student visa aspirant can apply for his dependents concurrently or wait for his student visa application to be approved before making his application for his dependents. The following relations can be sponsored for a dependent visa:

    • Spouse or common-law partner or conjugal partner
    • Dependent children under the age of 21
    • Dependent parents or grandparents
    • Child adopted outside Canada while you held a Canadian citizenship or PR
    • Your brother, sister, niece, nephew, uncle, aunt or other close relatives
    • Your dependents can live with you in Canada.

  • 8. Are there funding and scholarship options available for studying overseas in Canada?

    Generally, every university in Canada has different scholarship options available. International students might apply for various scholarships for studying abroad in Canada.

  • 9. Can international students in Canada work part-time?

    International students can work 20 hours a week while studying abroad in Canada.

  • 10. What are the post-study work opportunities available for an international student in Canada?

    An international student is eligible for – 1-year post study work permit after the completion of 1-year study in Canada 3-years post study work permit following the completion of a course of 2 or more years in Canada.

  • 11. What if I am Refused?

    An applicant can be refused for a number of reasons. He or she may lack proof of sufficient funds, or proof that they will stay for only a temporary basis. If this happens, it is important to take a close look at the application to understand what went wrong. From here, an individual may be able to reapply and often times have success the second time around if all issues are fixed.