The Parent and Grandparent Sponsorship Program (PGP) offers Canadian citizens and permanent residents the opportunity to bring their parents and grandparents to Canada. 

The Parents and Grandparents Program 2021 has an intake of 30,000 applications.

Over a two week period beginning the week of September 20, 2021, IRCC will hold a lottery to invite 30,000 Canadian citizens and permanent residents to submit their sponsorship applications.

IRCC will only consider those who submitted an interest to sponsor form on its website between noon EDT on October 13, 2020 and noon EDT on November 3, 2020. If you did not submit an interest to sponsor form in 2020, you may wish to apply for a Super Visa.

To be eligible the 2021 Parents and Grandparents Program, sponsors must:

  • Have completed an Interest to Sponsor form on IRCC’s website between October 13, 2020 (12:00 PM EDT) and November 3, 2020 (12:00 PM EST).
  • Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident of Canada, or a registered Indian under the Canadian Indian Act;
  • Be 18 years of age or older;
  • Be residing in Canada (potential applicants will need to provide a proof of status during the Interest to Sponsor phase);
  • Exceed the minimum necessary income level for this program (if married or in a common-law relationship, the income of both the sponsor and spouse can be included) and provide proof of income to IRCC; and
  • Sign an undertaking
    • to financially support the sponsored for 20 years (starting when they become permanent residents); and
    • to repay any social assistance benefits paid to the sponsored family members (if applicable) for a period of 20 years.
    • If the sponsor resides in Quebec, an additional “undertaking” must be signed with the province of Quebec.

Applicants to the PGP will have to prove that they meet the minimum income requirements by submitting notices of assessment issued by the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) in support of their application.

Who can Sponsor?

To be eligible under the Parents and Grandparents Program, you must:

  •       be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Canada,
  •       be at least 18 years of age,
  •       be the child or grandchild of the person(s) you are sponsoring,
  •       meet the Minimum Necessary Income (MNI) required for the size of their family unit and provide Canada Revenue Agency issued notices of assessment as proof,
  •       sign a sponsorship agreement that acknowledges your promise to provide for the basic needs of family member(s) for a period of 20 years,
  •       sign an additional agreement if you live in Quebec.

Your spouse or common-law partner can help you meet the income requirement by co-signing the undertaking. If a co-signer is helping you meet the MNI requirements, the co-signer must meet the same eligibility criteria as you, the sponsor. In addition, your co-signer must:

  •       not be the person being sponsored,

·        have cohabited with you in a conjugal relationship for at least one year.

Who Can Be Sponsored?

You can sponsor your own parents and grandparents, related by blood or adoption. In case of divorce or separation, you can sponsor your parents’ and your grandparents’ spouses, or conjugal or common-law partners.

In the application, you can only include your brothers and sisters, or half brothers and sisters, if they qualify as dependent children. You may sponsor more than 1 person or couple if you meet the income requirements for all the people you want sponsor and their dependants (spouse, partner and children).

The people you sponsor must also be eligible:

To show they meet the eligibility requirements, your parents and grandparents and their dependants must provide:

  •       all required forms and documents with their application
  •       any additional information we request during processing, including:
  •       medical exams
  •       police certificates

·        biometrics

Income Required To Sponsor Parents and Grandparents

You, the sponsor (and your co-signer, if you have one) must prove you have enough income to support all the people you’ll be financially responsible for once you become a sponsor. This includes yourself.

If you’re invited to apply, you have to provide proof that you meet the income requirements for each of the 3 tax years before the date you apply.

This table applies to you if you live in any province except Quebec. If you live in Quebec, the Quebec ministry in charge of immigration will assess your income.

Income required for the 3 tax years right before the day you apply (sponsors applying in 2021)

Total number of people you’ll be responsible for202020192018
2 people$32,899$41,007$40,379
3 people$40,445 $50,414$49,641
4 people$49,106$61,209$60,271
5 people $55,695$69,423$68,358
6 people$62,814

7 people$69,935$87,172$85,835

If more than 7 people, for each additional person, add:$7,121$8,876


Since many sponsors may have been affected financially by the COVID-19 pandemic, the income requirement for the 2020 tax year has been reduced to the minimum necessary income, instead of the minimum necessary income plus 30%.

Also, family class sponsors will be able to count these benefits in their income calculations for the 2020 tax year:

  •       regular Employment Insurance benefits (rather than just special Employment Insurance benefits)
  •       any Canada Emergency Response Benefits issued under the Employment Insurance Act or Canadian Emergency Response Benefit Act

·        other temporary COVID-19 related benefits as long as they’re not part of provincial social assistance programs

Sponsorship Undertaking

  1. If you live outside Quebec

To become a sponsor, you must promise to financially take care of the persons you are sponsoring for a period of time. This is called promise an undertaking.

The undertaking commits you to:

  •       providing financial support for your sponsored family members for 20 years, starting when they become permanent residents
  •       repaying any provincial social assistance (money from the government) your sponsored family members get during that time

Also, you and your sponsored family members need to agree to certain responsibilities during the undertaking period. We call this the sponsorship agreement.

The sponsorship agreement means that:

  •       you’ll provide for the basic needs of your sponsored family members
  •       the person you sponsor will make every effort to support themselves and their family members


  1. If you live in Quebec

You must meet Quebec’s immigration sponsorship requirements after getting approval. The Quebec ministry in charge of immigration will assess your income. You must also sign an undertaking with the province of Quebec.

Apply Today with our Expert Immigration Team

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

  • 1. Is the parent and grandparent super visa a multi-entry visa?

    Yes, the super visa is a multi-entry visa. It allows multiple entries for up to 10 years.

  • 2. How does the parent and grandparent super visa differ from a multiple entry visa?

    Currently, most visitors to Canada may visit for up to six months when they first enter Canada. Visitors who wish to stay longer must apply for an extension, and pay a new fee. With the parent and grandparent super visa, eligible parents and grandparents can visit family in Canada for up to two years without the need to renew their status. The Super Visa is a multi-entry visa that provides multiple entries for a period up to 10 years. The key difference is that the Super Visa allows an individual to stay for up to two years at a time in Canada, while a 10-year multiple entry visa would only have a status period for each entry of six months only. There are also specific requirements that you must meet to be able to get a super visa.

  • 3. What’s the difference between the parent and grandparent super visa and the 10-year multiple entry visa?

    The key difference is that the super visa allows multiple entry periods lasting up to 2 years. Those travelling on a 10-year multiple-entry visa can only stay for up to six months per entry. A single-entry super visa is also available. This remains at the discretion of a visa officer.

  • 4. Can I cancel my sponsorship application and apply for a super visa instead?

    Yes, you can withdraw your sponsorship application at any time. You can still apply for a super visa.