You may be eligible for an open work permit if you’re:

  •       a spouse of a skilled worker in an occupation under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0, A or B approved to work in Canada six months or longer
  •       a spouse of someone applying for the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program in a job under NOC 0, A, B or C
  •       a spouse of a foreign student at a public post-secondary school, such as a college or university or collège d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) in Quebec
  •       a family member of a foreign representative, or
  •       a family member of a foreign military member who is working in Canada

If your spouse has an open work permit (e.g. post-graduation work permit), you must attach a copy of your spouse’s work permit to your application for an open work permit, along with:

  •       a letter from your spouse’s current employer that confirms they work there in a NOC 0, A or B occupation, or a copy of your spouse’s employment offer or contract, and
  •       a copy of your spouse’s recent pay slips

Your permit will not be valid longer than your spouse’s work permit.

You also need to meet the general eligibility requirements for a work permit.

Apply Today with our Expert Immigration Team