The Super Visa program allows parents and grandparents to come to Canada on extended multiple-entry visas that can last up to 10 years in total. This program is always open, and it is possible to apply at the same time as the PGP.


To be eligible for a super visa, you must:

  •       be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
  •       have a signed letter from your child or grandchild who invites you to Canada that includes:
  •       a promise of financial support for the length of your visit
  •       the list and number of people in the household of this person
  •       a copy of this person’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document
  •       have medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company that is:
  1.     valid for at least 1 year from the date of entry
  2.     at least $100,000 coverage
  3.     have proof that the medical insurance has been paid (quotes aren’t accepted)

You must also:

  •       apply for a super visa from outside Canada
  •       be allowed to enter Canada
  •       take an immigration medical exam
  •       meet certain other conditions

You can’t include dependants in this application.

Financial support (Proof of Funds)

The child or grandchild who invites you must prove that their household meets the minimum necessary income. Your child or grandchild may use the following income scale to assess their ability to meet the income requirements.

Low Income Cut-Off (LICO)
Size of Family UnitMinimum necessary gross income
1 person (your child or grandchild)$25,921
2 persons$32,270
3 persons$39,672
4 persons$48,167
5 persons$54,630
6 persons$61,613
7 persons$68,598
More than 7 persons, for each additional person, add$6,985
The following documents are examples of what can be used as proof of funds:
  •       Notice of Assessment (NOA) or T4/T1 for the most recent tax year
  •       Employment Insurance stubs
  •       employment letter including salary and date of hiring
  •       pay stubs
  • bank statements

Apply Today with our Expert Immigration Team

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

  • 1. Is the parent and grandparent super visa a multi-entry visa?

    Yes, the super visa is a multi-entry visa. It allows multiple entries for up to 10 years.

  • 2. How does the parent and grandparent super visa differ from a multiple entry visa?

    Currently, most visitors to Canada may visit for up to six months when they first enter Canada. Visitors who wish to stay longer must apply for an extension, and pay a new fee. With the parent and grandparent super visa, eligible parents and grandparents can visit family in Canada for up to two years without the need to renew their status. The Super Visa is a multi-entry visa that provides multiple entries for a period up to 10 years. The key difference is that the Super Visa allows an individual to stay for up to two years at a time in Canada, while a 10-year multiple entry visa would only have a status period for each entry of six months only. There are also specific requirements that you must meet to be able to get a super visa.

  • 3. What’s the difference between the parent and grandparent super visa and the 10-year multiple entry visa?

    The key difference is that the super visa allows multiple entry periods lasting up to 2 years. Those travelling on a 10-year multiple-entry visa can only stay for up to six months per entry. A single-entry super visa is also available. This remains at the discretion of a visa officer.

  • 4. Can I cancel my sponsorship application and apply for a super visa instead?

    Yes, you can withdraw your sponsorship application at any time. You can still apply for a super visa.